Career Opportunities at African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP),
Career Opportunities at African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP)
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations / View Jobs at African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP)
In 2009, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP), an African-led, regional non-profit policy think tank, was established to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in the areas of population change and sustainable development, and health systems strengthening in Africa.
- General Management – Manage administrative services including utilities and consumables, office maintenance, repairs and cleaning and re-order of goods/inventory, monitor telephone usage and all other administrative related services.
- Asset management – develop and maintain a record of assets and inventory records, and maintain an updated insurance schedule of the same, vehicles inclusive.
- Events Management – Support in the organization of internal and external meetings and conferences, staff travel and accommodation bookings for staff both locally and internationally; and organize administrative functions of workshops and meetings, retreats and related activities.
- Oversight front office administration and services, ensuring proper management of the reception, switchboard operations, and welcoming of AFIDEP visitors. Ensure that all general enquiries are attended to and responded to accurately and promptly.
- Procurement – Lead the procurement function, ensuring specific donor requirements are strictly adhered to. Process orders of supplies, establish and maintain good relationships with key suppliers and provide administrative support to the Procurement Committee.
- Accounting and Finance – Assist in management of accounts for suppliers and service providers, and advising when services are due for payment. Support management of payables by ensuring timely vendor and service providers invoices are received, reconciled and submitted to Finance for processing. Manage petty cash as per policy and guidelines.
- Supervision – Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the administrative department and staff members.
- System Development – Developing, reviewing, and improving administrative systems, policies, and procedures, and using appropriate digital tools to improve efficiency.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned from time to time by the management.
- A Masters’ degree holder in Business Management/ Administration/Procurement or related field of study.
- Professional qualification and certification in Procurement is a special requirement.
- Practical knowledge of office management.
- At least 5 years’ experience in similar position with at least 3 years’ experience in a USAID-funded organization will be an added advantage.
- Previous experience in an International NGO is an added advantage.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good minute-taking and report-writing skills.
- Proven ability to structure persuasive arguments in a strategic manner.
- Formal, current affiliation with the relevant procurement professional body in Kenya.
Resource Mobilisation Officer
- AFIDEP seeks a motivated and experienced candidate to fill the Resource Mobilisation Officer (Kenya) position in the Institute’s Business Development Department. The Business Development Department’s primary objective is to spearhead the implementation of the Institute’s Resource Mobilisation Strategy. The Resource Mobilisation Officer will work collaboratively with the Business Development Department, focus areas and programmes, policy engagement and communications, finance, grants, administration, human resources, and monitoring and evaluation teams across the organisation. They will directly support the coordination and delivery of all the institutional resource mobilisation efforts, including and not limited to: mapping opportunities for strategic partnerships; coordinating engagement with potential funders and partners; coordinating and contributing to proposal development; contributing to continuous improvement of the Department’s strategies, processes, and procedures; supporting monitoring, evaluation, and reporting, and contributing to institutional brand building activities. The position will be based at AFIDEP’s Nairobi, Kenya office.
- Contribute to strategic planning to implement the Business Development Department’s workplan
- Research and identify potential funders and update the historical maps in the Microsoft Fundraising and Engagement application and other tools
- Support establish and maintain collaborative relationships with the Institute’s partners, including other research organisations, academia, government, media, civil society etc., to optimise proposal development, project implementation and enhance the AFIDEP brand
- Scan for relevant calls for proposals and concepts notes, and generate summaries for quick decision-making
- Support proposal development (background research, collating project information, organisational information, customising biographies and curriculum vitae to calls, etc.)
- Support registration to funders’ and partners’ online proposal submission platforms
- Support engagement with funders and partners
- Populate partnership assessment and due diligence documentation
- Support planning and participate in events and meetings relevant to resource mobilisation and partnerships building
- Support monitoring the Department’s impact and reporting
- Other miscellaneous tasks as required
- University degree in social sciences, humanities, international development, communications or other relevant disciplines
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline is desirable
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least five years’ demonstrable experience in a similar position – business development, proposal development, grants management and reporting, strategic communications and events planning in non-profit, consulting, research or academia
- Knowledge of USAID, NIH, EU, FCDO, NIHR, IDRC, global foundations, charities etc. applications/bids requirements and procurement portals
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to deliver quality work within tight deadlines and supervision
- Excellent organisation skills
- Ability to write, edit, proofread and communicate
- Experience planning and executing strategic events
- Ability to work in a multicultural context
- Good research experience, i.e., able to find, consolidate, synthesise and use data for proposals and reporting
To apply for this position, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org including the position title in the email subject, by 31st July 2023. The application should include 1) a motivation letter indicating your suitability for the position, and 2) a detailed curriculum vitae with three relevant referees. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.