Finance Manager Jobs at Mercy Corps,
Finance Manager Jobs at Mercy Corps
Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations, Jobs at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a global humanitarian aid agency engaged in transitional environments that have experienced some sort of shock: natural disaster, economic collapse, or conflict.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Team Lead in managing all financial operations of the project, including accounting and reporting, cash management, and budget management.
- Manage financial operations of the three countries and financial reporting.
- Co-Fi planning and Monthly accounting of the Co-fi.
- Provide monthly management reports to the RLP Program Director, Programme Team Lead and Programme Managers, including expenditures by fund and country,
- Participate in developing of annual fiscal year budgets with the Finance Director and Country Director and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Program Managers.
- Ensure that the project financial operations are in compliance with all SDC and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Ensure that monthly transactions are reviewed and entered in the General Ledger accurately and on timely basis.
- Assist with monthly review and reconciliations of balance sheet accounts (receivables, payables, advances, bank & cash reconciliations, etc.) and all the RLP related expenditures.
- Review payment documents, national staff payroll and other supporting documents ensuring their compliance with the local laws, donor regulations and MC Kenya internal policies.
- Be prepared to respond to any budgetary and financial inquiries from the donor, consortium members and Mercy Corps senior management within the horn of Africa and home office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Prepare monthly cash flow projections and request funds from the country office.
- Provide financial advisory on overall strategic programme decisions.
- Review and track expenses and proper documentation as per Mercy Corps procedures and donor requirements for record keeping and accountancy.
MONITORING & EVALUATION (M&E) AND REPORTING
- Work with the RLP Senior Management, M&E and finance team members to ensure that RLP deliverables are aligned with value-for-money objectives and that financial milestones are proportionate to programme milestones.
- Provide financial perspective in management and decision-making to enhance Mercy Corps’ adaptive management.
PROGRAM SUPPORT OPERATIONS
- Ensure that RLP financial systems are efficient and are based on smooth-running infrastructure that facilitate timely and efficient program implementation. Provide regular review of field operations to ensure cost-effectiveness and provide guidance on improved operational practices for value-for-money.
- Travel between field locations in Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia.
- Ensure a work atmosphere conducive for professional growth and development of personnel at all levels by implementing and ensuring all staff are effectively using the performance planning and management system, establishing performance expectations and regularly providing constructive feedback.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees, and ensuring that supervisory staff do the same.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Work with field office management teams to establish financial reporting and management systems that ensure the safety and security of SDC financial resources including cash assets and records.
- Conduct yourself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports directly to: Finance Director
Works directly with: Contracts and Compliance Director, Finance and Compliance Manager/ Directors of the three countries, Programme Team Lead, Deputy Team Lead, Programme Managers, Country Finance/Grants Teams, Programme Teams, Implementing Partners and HR and Operations departments.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- Professional accounting certification CPA(K).
- At least seven (7) years of demonstrated professional experience managing grants, procurement and compliance with donor regulations, preferably Donor-funded projects.
- Strong accounting skills and experience in management of the general ledger, journal entries, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience applying clauses and negotiating without heavy management oversight including developing amendments and modifications as a result of negotiations.
- Experience providing capacity-building training to staff and local organizations.
- Proven abilities in analytical, excel and reporting skills.