Online typing jobs are a great way for students to earn some extra cash in their spare time. Online typing jobs allow you to work from anywhere, as long as you have a computer and a fast internet connection. You can also choose your own schedule and work at your own pace.
Online typing jobs can be divided into three main categories: data entry, transcription, and freelance writing.
Each category has its own advantages and disadvantages, as well as different requirements and skills.
In this article, I will explain what each category entails, how much you can earn, and where you can find these online typing jobs.
Online Typing Jobs for Students to Earn Money
Data entry is one of the simplest and most common online typing jobs for students. Data entry involves entering data from various sources into a database or a spreadsheet. The data can be anything from names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, survey responses, product information, etc.
Data entry jobs are usually easy and straightforward. You just need to follow the instructions given by the client and type the data accurately and quickly. You don’t need any special knowledge or qualification for data entry jobs, just good typing speed and attention to detail.
The average pay for data entry jobs is starts from $10 per hour. The pay can vary depending on the complexity and volume of the data, as well as the platform you work on. Some platforms pay per task, while others pay per hour or per word.
Some of the best platforms to find data entry jobs are:
- Microworkers: This is a site that allows users to register and complete small tasks for money. These tasks can include data entry, transcription, translation, web research, etc. You can choose the tasks that you want to do and get paid per task.
- Clickworker: This is another site that offers microtasks for users. You can sign up for free and complete tasks such as data entry, web research, categorization, tagging, etc. You can work whenever you want and get paid weekly or monthly via PayPal or bank transfer.
- mTurk: This is a site run by Amazon that connects businesses with workers who can perform various tasks online. These tasks can include data entry, transcription, image recognition, content moderation, etc. You can browse the available tasks and accept the ones that you want to do. You get paid per task via Amazon gift cards or bank transfers.
Transcription is another popular online typing job for students. Transcription involves typing audio or video files into text format. The audio or video files can be anything from lectures, interviews, podcasts, webinars, meetings, etc.
Transcription jobs require good listening skills and language proficiency. You also need to have a good-quality headset and transcription software to help you with the typing process. Some transcription jobs may also require you to follow a specific format or style guide.
The average pay for transcription jobs is around $15 per hour. However, the pay can vary depending on the quality and length of the audio or video file, as well as the platform you work on. Some platforms pay per audio minute, while others pay per hour or per word.
Some of the best platforms to find transcription jobs are:
- TranscribeMe: This is a site that hires transcriptionists from all over the world. You can sign up for free and take a short test to qualify. You will then be able to access short audio files (1-2 minutes long) that you can transcribe and get paid per audio minute.
- Rev: This is another site that offers transcription services to clients. You can apply as a transcriptionist by taking an online test and submitting a sample transcript. You will then be able to access various audio files (5-30 minutes long) that you can transcribe and get paid per audio minute.
- Scribie: This is a site that pays you to transcribe audio files (6 minutes long or less). You can sign up for free and take a test to qualify. You will then be able to choose the files that you want to transcribe and get paid per audio hour.
Freelance writing is one of the most lucrative online typing jobs for students. Freelance writing involves writing content for various purposes like websites, blogs, magazines, newsletters, etc. The content can be anything from articles, reviews, product descriptions, press releases, sales copy, and many more.
Freelance writing jobs require good writing skills and creativity. You also need to have good research skills and knowledge of SEO (search engine optimization) techniques. Some freelance writing jobs may also require you to follow a specific tone, voice, or style guide.
The average pay for freelance writing jobs is around $20 per hour. The amount you can earn vary depending on the quality and length of the content, as well as the platform you work on. Some platforms pay per word, while others pay per hour or per project.
Some of the best platforms to find freelance writing jobs are:
This is a site that connects freelance writers with clients who need content. You can sign up for free and submit a writing sample to get rated. You will then be able to access various writing assignments that match your rating and get paid per word.
This is another site that offers content writing services to clients. You can sign up for free and take a short test to qualify. You will then be able to access various writing projects that you can choose from and get paid per word.
This is a site that connects freelancers with clients who need various services. You can create a profile and showcase your writing skills and portfolio.
You will then be able to bid on various writing projects that match your skills and get paid per hour or per project.
These are some of the best online typing jobs for students to earn money.
However, there are still many more typing jobs that you can explore online, such as captioning, subtitling, proofreading, editing, and others that I have not covered here.
The key is to find the type of work that you enjoy and are good at, and then look for reputable platforms that offer these jobs.
Tips on how to avoid scams online when hunting for these online typing jobs
To avoid scams and fraud, you should always do your research before applying for any online typing job.
Here are some more tips on how to protect yourself from online job scams:
1. Check the company’s website and social media presence. A legitimate company should have a professional-looking website and some kind of online presence.
You can also look for reviews, ratings, testimonials, or complaints about the company online.
2. Verify the contact information and the job offer. If the employer or agent provides a webmail email address (such as Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo) as a point of contact, be suspicious.
You can also try to call or email the employer or agent to confirm their identity and the validity of the job offer. If they don’t respond or give vague answers, it could be a sign of a scam.
3. Don’t pay any money upfront or share any personal or financial information.
A legitimate employer will never ask you to pay any fees or expenses to get a job or reveal any sensitive information such as your social security number, driver’s license number, bank account information, etc.
If they do, it’s most likely a scam. You should also avoid clicking any links or downloading any attachments from unknown or suspicious sources, as they could contain malware or viruses.
3. Read the terms and conditions carefully before accepting any job offer. You should always read and understand the terms and conditions of any contract or agreement before signing it.
Look for any red flags such as unrealistic promises, vague responsibilities, unclear payment methods, etc. You should also ask for a written confirmation of the job offer and keep a record of all your communications with the employer or agent.
4. Report any suspicious or fraudulent activity. If you encounter or fall victim to any online job scam, you should report it to the relevant authorities and platforms.
You can contact your state consumer protection office, the National Center for Disaster Fraud, or local law enforcement.
Online typing jobs are a great way to make money as a student. They are flexible, convenient, and rewarding.
You can use your typing skills to earn some extra cash while also improving your resume and portfolio.
So, what are you waiting for? Start typing and start earning today!