Programme Management Officer P3 Jobs at UN-Habitat,
Programme Management Officer P3 Jobs at UN-Habitat
Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations, Jobs at UN-Habitat
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
Programme Management Officer Human Settlements, P3
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contributes to the implementation of the Branch’s work plan and activities in the field of economy, planning and finance.
- Develops the PDB portfolio, in local economic development and SDG Cities Global Flagship Initiative, incorporating its four tracks – data, voluntary local review and strategic planning, effective institutions plans and regulations, and investment in impact – and the development of national technical support structures for participating cities.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of urban and territorial planning projects as assigned, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change. Designs and conduct a variety of urban and regional assessments (municipal finance assessments, revenue and expenditure analysis, spatial economic analysis, and productivity assessments, assessment of financial implication of urban planning and other tools) and develops related recommendations (on municipal revenue enhancement, on local economic development, on urban project financing options, etc).
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. Develops high quality concept notes and guidance materials in consultation with clients.
- Assesses UN-Habitat capacity for the delivery of urban economy and finance support to cities and national governments and develops capacity development content for internal use; ensure quality control of the organization’s norms and guidance on urban planning and finance and ensures quality control of technical cooperation outputs and activities as requested.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc. in the field of urban economy and finance.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, in close collaboration with UN-Habitat’s regional and country offices and by informing the Resident Coordinator’s office, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CREATIVITY: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, spatial economics, economic development, finance, public policy, urban planning or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in urban economic development or urban planning and demonstrated experience in working with governments and in developing countries is required.
- Previous working experience in the areas of urban economic development, sustainable development and municipal finance is desirable.
- Experience in programme management and within the UN System or international organization is desirable.
- 2 years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required and knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.